Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Field Trip..

So, our prof had a conference to go to so instead of heading to class he instructed us to head to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, find the room full of white sculptures, choose one and sketch it out. Ok. I had several problems with this assignment. 1. I 've never been to the Met 2. what room of sculptures, isn't this place pretty big? how am i gonna find them? 3. uh hello? sketching in public? in a room full of nosy people? are you crazy?

Well, I got over it and went. With the staff's help I found my way into the European sculptures room and copped a squat in front of the statue of Lucretia:

I tore my 18"x24" piece of paper in half cuz the larger size was just too unwieldy for me without an easel. And after several false starts, I forgot about the folks and got to work. Here's what I ended up with:

So, for the time I spent on this (only 1 hour) I'm pretty happy. I should have worked on it longer but honestly, my butt was hurting, I was hungry and I had an 1.5 hr train ride to get back to the kids so I broke out. What's wrong with it? I think the arm she's resting on is too short, her left breast is too far to the left, the neck is too thin and all that fabric just threw me for a loop. I'm going to continue working from the picture this week. I'll post the new and improved version later in the week..

Anyway, that's it for now.. I'll share some more stuff (old and new, well not so much old cuz alot of it was destroyed or lost over the years but I have a few things to show) in future posts. Until later m'dears MUAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment